Pages

Wild Garlic - delicious free stuff!

The past few days have been splendid, as you probably know.   Whilst wandering about in the sun I was delighted to find wild garlic. or ramsons as they are more formally called, and picked a few handfuls. 

Here’s a picture of them growing in Padstow woods.

Padstow-eild-garlic-woods

And here’s what I did with my wild garlic …
penne-alfredo-with-garlic


Penne Pasta in Wild Garlic Alfredo 

This is easy, just add shredded wild garlic to a simple Alfredo Sauce BUT I made it extra yummy.  My real man had a burger (homemade of course, I’m surprised you asked) topped with bacon, red onions and cheddar.  I always finish it in the oven and whilst doing this I crisply fried myself some breadcrumbs in the bacony fat which had bits of caramelised onion in it, thus making a delicious pangratatto!



My meal was seriously delicious (I'd have thought so even if I wasn't such a bighead) and looked like this.

I also puréed some of the leaves together with olive oil, lemon juice and freshly and coarsely ground black pepper and marinated a piece of haddock in this for an hour or so then pan fried it and ate it with our first Jersey Royals of the season.
Lastly I mixed the remaining leaves with some leftover mashed potato and fried up a crispy cake to go with another piece of haddock cooked in bacon fat.  I hope I’ll be alright, re the bacon fat!

ramsons-potato-cake

News from the future - see here for lots of ideas for using wild garlic.


In Other News

I had a lovely wiggly wander about Padstow; wiggly because I was walking around the hoards of people thronging the small harbour.

padstow-cornwall

I had lunch at The Basement, on a street called Drang, with my friend Carol, she ate mussels ...
mussels-for-lunch
... and I had a wonderful Monkfish Madras which was perfect in every way, in fact extra perfect as it had a surprise Onion Bhaji in the centre of it.  With this I drank my first, but certainly not my last, wine from Camel Valley; Bacchus, a fruity white wine which was gorgeous.

seafood-curry


Thursday my real man and I spent on the beach at Porthcothan  just laying in the sun, reading, eating a picnic (fairly basic but nice), he spent some time in the sea with his surf ski and we explored the coves and rocky places. 

porthcothan-beach-north-cornwall
You know, the Caribbean is lovely but it’s hard to beat a Cornish beach when the weather’s right.  For a start the tide goes out So Far!  About half a mile the other day and the beaches are interesting with caves and rock pools and weathered rock formations.  We had a lovely time and I’m glad we’d already got a tan because a lot of people left the beach rather burnt. 





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you are getting quite good at the photography thingy aren't you!?catch up in wadebridge for lunch soon?you know who!

Food Frenzy said...

This looks and sounds wonderful. Yum!