31 July 2011

Fruit Fools for Summer

Having written only a few days ago about a foolproof meringue recipe I am now going to write about actual fools, summer fruit fools to be precise, and no, meringues aren't proof against them, they go quite well together.

Last night’s dinner was rather lovely …

~  Menu  ~

A baby Sea Bass baked with Lemon and Thyme on a bed of Roasted Garlic Infused Potatoes
A couple of glasses of white wine (same make as the secret red I keep drinking!)
Strawberry Fool
Coffee

The bass was quite small and just perfect for one (me) whilst my real man and his father had roast pork.  Whilst their meat was roasting I sliced a couple of new potatoes and tossed them with some of the oil from my roasted garlic, salt and good bit of black pepper.  With this I formed a fish sized potato bed and roasted it till almost cooked.  I sprinkled the fish with sea salt and put a little lemon and fresh thyme in his cavity and then roasted him on top of the par cooked potatoes whilst the pork was resting till all was tender.  Lovely summer dinner with salad and roasted garlic mayo – shame the view out the winder was of thick mist.



My brother-in-law who is a funny man (more ha-ha than peculiar) was wondering if they are called sea bass to distinguish from any land bass that might be lurking about but I think there is a river bass too, isn’t there?

For dessert we all had strawberry fool because it turned out that the pretty little strawberries we had bought cheap were not of the finest; I think they had been a bit frozen. 

I couldn’t be bothered to do too much to them but no need – this very easy recipe works brilliantly.  I used my bad tempered masher to crush the strawberries.

Strawberry Fool – serves 3 (do mathematic calculations for other numbers)

300g strawberries
1½ tbsp icing sugar
2 tsp Rumtopf (optional - make some now you won't regret it)
200ml double cream

~   Prepare and sort the strawberries and then crush or mash them with the sugar and optional rumpot. 
~   Whip the cream till it looks like this …


~   Add the crushed strawberries and whip just a little till all combined and slightly thicker.
~   Divide between pretty glasses and chill till needed.


Blueberry Fool

The same as above but no alcohol (unless you insist) but add a little lemon juice instead, it goes well with blueberries


This simple recipe works for any soft summer fruits; raspberries may need a little more sugar, try peaches and brandy, cherries with vanilla and so on.  It’s a great way to use up fruit that is just not quite good enough to serve as it is.
Pin It!

1 comment:

Ryan Jones said...

That looks like a good treat to make on a summer day. Ice cream treats like this are definately hard to resist.