Pages

Easy Peasy Duck Rillettes

~  Menu  ~

Rillettes of Duck with Smoked Black Pepper & Cognac
Plum & Balsamic Chutney
Nubbly Bread
Glass of Red
Pear & Ginger Sorbet

I have done myself proud with leftovers today.

With the scraps of a most delicious roast duck I made me some rillettes,  comme ça:

Easy Peasy Duck Rillettes


approx 60g cooked duck meat
approx 60g duck fat
½ tbsp brandy
salt and pepper (I used smoked black pepper)
a smidge of garlic
maybe a little finely grated orange zest – up to you!

~   Cook the duck meat in the fat very, very gently for quite a long while, 45-60 minutes plus, till meltingly tender.
~   Shred the meat into the fat.
~   Add the cognac, taste and season.
~   Put the whole lot in a little dish, pushing the meat under the surface of the fat.
~   Chill till needed.

Supposedly this keeps very well as the fat seals the dish and also, apparently, it is better after a couple of days wait as this helps the flavours meld.  I have tested neither of these suppositions.

rillettes of duck with toast

We have had a tin of pears hanging about the place for a while so today I thought I ought to deal with it so made …

Pear & Ginger Sorbet


~   Strain the pears (drink the juice with some fizzy water).
~   Coarsely chop the pears and partially freeze.  Actually I wholly froze and had to partially defrost!
~   Run through the food processor with a spoonful of syrup from the Stem Ginger jar till smooth.
~   Freeze (again).

easy pear and ginger sorbet from tinned pears
Nice Pinnable image don't you think?

For loads more Creative Ways to Use Up Leftovers follow my Pinterest board ...


Leftover Food ~ Delicious Ideas 





No comments: