18 February 2012

Clearing out the Fridge

~  Menu  ~

Honeyed Stilton on Toast
Glass of Dessert Wine
(can’t remember exactly what!)
Strawberry Flan & Clotted Cream

A funny thing happened to me this morning.  I got up as usual and was just drinking my coffee when all of a sudden I was struck by an unfamiliar sensation …

… I felt like doing housework!  So I cleaned out the fridge and below is a list of what I found and what I did or am going to do with it.


<
~   ½ a cucumber – I'll pickle it, see Lightly Pickled Cucumber here for recipe (incidentally this is  one of my most popular posts because of the Rumpot recipe therein)
~   2 packs cheap strawberries so I made a flan (English flan, not American where “flan”, indefinite article, means a sort of egg custard) with a sponge base I had laying around in the freezer.   My real man is chuffed.


~   a small bowl of cooked rice
~   a few salmon trimmings
~   a Peas and Edamame Salad from Tesco – I shall stir fry this with the above rice, the above salmon and a spoonful of lovely spicy but sadly secret sauce that my friend Deb gave me.
~   pastry scraps – I always have these – probably cheese straws because I love ‘em, but see here for lots of ideas
~   a few tablespoons of cooked mince – left over from Real Man’s Mince & Dumplings  – make myself a chilli as in Chilli con a bit of Carne here.
~   a little bit of juice from cooking plums – refreshing drink with sparkling water or maybe stir into yogurt for breakfast tomorrow.
~   about an ounce of cooked ham and 1 rasher bacon – these will go into tomorrows roast chicken stuffing
~   a small piece of Stilton – with this I made ...

Honeyed Stilton on Toast

... which is just gorgeous; the sweet caramelised honey is a perfect foil for the sharp, salty taste of blue cheese.  Crumble Stilton or a similar blue cheese over toast and drizzle each slice with a teaspoon or two of runny honey.  Bake in a hot oven for about 10 minutes till the cheese is melted and the honey is bubbly and golden. (See here for lots more cheese on toast ideas.)


~   a glass or so of dessert wine – I drank it.  What would you do?

After lunch I completely lost the urge to do housework!

Tweetables

Please click on the links below to Tweet this useful information.

~   Honeyed Stilton on Toasts; caramelised honey is a perfect foil for the sharp, salty taste of blue cheese. 
~   Make the most of clearing out the fridge. 

Pin It!

1 comment:

debs said...

well you have been industrious and must have a very empty fridge!the honeyed cheese thingy is a fab idea!are you still cleaning today?me wonders what you would do if you found a peice of old toast under the sofa!?