4 February 2012

"The Oxford Companion to Food" by Alan Davidson

~  Menu  ~

Cauliflower & Cornish Crackler Fritters
Spicy Tomato Sauce
Glass of Secret Red

Last night I cooked too much cauliflower and was going to sneak it into tonight’s veggies to go with my Real Man’s Mince & Dumplings but I had a better idea.

Cauliflower & Cheddar Fritters – I made this up as I went along but had the presence of mind to notice what I was doing for once!

2 tbsp self raising flour
30g grated Cheddar – I used lovely Cornish Crackler
salt and pepper to taste
1 egg
a little milk
100g cooked cauliflower – in small pieces

~   Mix together the flour, cheese and seasonings.
~   Stir in the egg and then add enough milk to make a very soft dough (or, possibly, a very thick batter).
~   Stir in the cauliflower.
~   Drop tablespoonfully into a little hot olive oil and fry till crisp and golden on both sides.


I topped these with a big spoonful of spicy tomato pasta sauce which I always keep in my store cupboard.  It occurs to me that these fritters would work, with flavour adjustments, for 100g of all sorts of leftovers!

I have just been to the library and collected The “Oxford Companion to Food” – luckily I had my real man with because it is HUGE!  I cannot conceive of the mind of Mr. Alan Davidson who has compiled so much food info.  It’s phenomenal!


I looked up Lunch, although I thought I already knew what it is and discovered that …”there are few foreign equivalents” to lunch as most countries consider midday a good time for their main meal.  I learnt that our modern meal of lunch dates back to the early 19th century when it was a meal mainly partaken by women or ladies who lunch.  I am delighted to read that many 19th century lunches appear to have been “collations of leftovers” but not that “British lunch has generally lacked gastronomic interest” – well not here!  Having aspired to become one of the “lunch-eating classes” I am determined to make the most of the meal.

I have just dipped into this wonderful book so far - it is very interesting and informative but tiring on the arms.  


Pin It!

2 comments:

Laura said...

I remember buying this book and finding it completely fascinating- with Elizabeth David's writings it is one of my favourite foodie reads

Anonymous said...

nice idea.. thanks for sharing.