Pages

Toad in the Crevasse aka Toad in the Hole!

For my beloved last night I made Toad in the Crevasse from which, as is usual with meals I cook for him, there were no leftovers.  Nevertheless I thought I’d mention it as it does lend itself to things other than sausages, such as leftovers.

For 4 years I ran the kitchen of the Royal British Virgin Islands Yacht Club which, although “abroad”, was full of Brits.  Having lived away from the UK for several years I found it strangely pleasant, at least at first, to hear people calling each other plonkers

I used to put lots of English comfort food on the menu for said plonkers.  One day I heard two of the girls I worked with discussing the menu – Ronia from Jamaica said to Janet from St. Vincent “Toad in the Hole!!!” in a shocked voice.  They both giggled.  Then Ronia said “Suzy – she rude!” This seems to be a cross cultural reaction.  In England our toads always seemed to be wedged into cracks in our Yorkshire pud so, in the interests of truth and accuracy, we renamed it toad in the crevasse.  For some inexplicable reason this caused people to smirk and call us filthy gits!   It also meant we sold a lot of Toad in the Crevasse as people came just to have a giggle.  

Toad in the Hole 


1 batch Yorkshire pudding batter ~ see here for my Yorkshire Pudding recipe 
500g lovely pork sausages
½ tbsp oil

~   Preheat oven to 375ºF/190ºC/170ºC fan/gas 5..
~   Grease a shallow ovenproof dish; I find Pyrex diesel work best for a toad. 
~   Cut the sausages in half (or not, if you prefer) and arrange with gaps between.
~   Bake till they are browning, turning sometimes, and have exuded some fat.
~   Remove the dish from the oven, put a baking tray in the oven and increase the heat to 425ºF/220ºC/200ºC fan/gas 7.
~   Swirl the sausages in their pan to evenly coat the pan with oil and, if your sausages have been very fatty spoon most of it off.  There should be enough to coat the pan and a teaspoonful or so more  Maybe use the excess fat to make gravy.
~   Rearrange the sausages in the dish, stir the batter and pour in amongst them. 
~   Return to the oven standing on the hot baking tray - this will make for a crispy bottom.
~   Bake till the Yorkshire (pudding is implied) is risen and crisp and brown.  DO NOT open the oven for about 15 minutes or the whole thing will deflate.
  
homemade toad in the hole pinterest image
Of course this lends itself to many variations some of which are useful for making a great meal from leftovers.

Instead of sausages use …

~   Meatballs (leftover cooked - or part cook first)
~   Roasted Vegetables
~   Balls of leftover stuffing.
~   Almost cooked lamb chops (if you can afford them!)
~   Posh sausages – venison for instance.
~   Fruit to make a Clafouti - see here for clafouti recipe.

… or add herbs or spices to the batter.

This batter recipe makes a very light, crisp Yorkshire rather than a rib sticker and is delicious.  I have seen loads of variations some containing vinegar, some with inordinate amounts of flour and even some with raising agent added which is anathema to a Yorkshire Pud.  My recipe which I have used for years both professionally and in the privacy of our own home always works and is almost astoundingly economical!


the best yorkshire puddings ever

See here for a surprising and delicious way to use leftover Yorkshire puddings!



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I made this last night and was amazed with the results, past attempts have always managed to be burnt and soggy at the same time. The 'crevass' bit was light and crisp, I can't wait to make yorkies the same way, I think I have been using way too much flour. Thank you !

Eb Gargano | Easy Peasy Foodie said...

I love your new name for toad in the hole. Made me giggle :-)

Unknown said...

Surely the inaccuracy in the name is really in the "toad" rather than the "hole" :-) You've got me wondering where on earth its name came from I've always happily called it toad-in-the-hole without thinking about it. I may have to go and have a Google now!