26 June 2012

Can You Tell What It Is Yet?



marinated-salmon-salad

~  Menu  ~

Marinated Salmon and Avocado Salad
Nubbly Toast
White Wine Spritzer
Mystery Pudding (or Dessert for my American readers)
Cornish Clotted Cream

The salad was made using leftovers from last night’s salmon dinner – about 2 ounces (60g ish) of spicy roasted salmon which, in a sudden inspiration, I mixed with my leftover dressing (a simple lemon vinaigrette) overnight to see what would happen.  I was not that surprised to end up with juicy lemony salmon which was, as they say in cookbooks, a perfect foil for the creamy avocado I intended to eat with it.  I flaked the salmon, diced the avocado (we recently bought 4 very small “ripen at home” haas avos for about 40p) and stirred in some light roasted garlic mayonnaise to bind it all together.  Just look at this lovely summery dish on a tropical platter!

salmon-and-avocado-salad

It tasted gorgeous but eating it whilst snugged up in my cardi with the light on and the drizzle wafting about outside didn’t quite take me back to my Caribbean years.

Can you tell what it is yet?

Here is a picture of my lunch pudding.  Clue -  it was made from leftovers.


rhubarb-pasty-recipe

Yes – it’s a personal Rhubarb Pie!  For all my assiduousness (is that a word? – assiduousity, perhaps?) in the economical use of food I am still quite a slacker so wasn’t too amazed to find a lone stick of rhubarb in the back of the fridge.  As I also had some puff pastry scraps I’d been fretting about for a couple of days I made the above. 

I trimmed and de-threaded the rhubarb stick and as it can taste quite sharp cut a slit along its length which I filled with sugar.  I also rolled the rhubarb in sugar and then wrapped it in strips of leftover pastry which I brushed it with cream and sprinkled with, um … more sugar. (Other ideas for leftover pastry are available here.)  I baked the bugger at 350ºF/180ºC/160°C fan/gas 4 for about half an hour till it was crisp and golden and a swift poke with a sharp knife revealed that the rhubarb was completely tender. 

This was enormously pleasant *** and I particularly liked the way the rhubarb juice and sugar had caramelised around the edge of the “pie”.
lovely-meal-from-leftovers

Yummy, Delish & Sensational (etc.)

***  You know its becoming more and more difficult to come up with different ways to say that a meal was delicious!  Any suggestions would be appreciated; I could use them in my book wot I am writing.  I’ve got till the end of October to submit the manuscript by which time I may well be enormous.  Just writing about food makes me hungry and then there is all the testing to do.  What a “terrible” new “job”.


the-leftovers-handbook-suzy-bowler


News from the Future!

My book, The Leftovers Handbook, is now well and truly published.  In it I give all the information, ideas and recipes I can give for over 450 possible leftovers.  




Pin It!

No comments: