Pages

Delicious Doughnut Peaches!

pouring raspberry vinegar over a glass of peaches
~  Menu  ~

Leftover Mashed Potato Gratin
Glass of Red
A Saturn, aka Doughnut, Peach with …
… a drizzle of Homemade Raspberry Vinegar

I seem to have a form of potato blindness and always seem to cook too many.  Usually I just sauté or fry (very similar to sauté) them for the next meal but today, having not only leftover mashed potato but also a small bowl of leftover tender caramelised onions I decided to play with my food a bit.

Mashed Potato Gratin for One


The potato had been mashed with cream and butter, as is only proper, so quite soft. 

1 portion of leftover mashed potato – enough to fill a small dish or ramekin
1 tbsp leftover cooked onions – see The Best Way to Cook Onions
a handful of grated cheese
fresh breadcrumbs or even better, panko

leftover-mashed-potato-gratin
~  Preheat the oven to 375ºF/190ºC/170ºC fan/gas 5, give or take a few degrees.
~  If the potato is chilled warm it slightly and stir in the onions -if it is dry add cream or butter or both.
~  Decant into a buttered ovenproof dish. 
~  Mix together the grated cheese (I used lovely Davidstow Cornish Crackler; my favourite cheddar) and some panko crumbs.
~  Bake till hot and bubbling and crispy and golden.

The result was gratifying; a great way of reheating and revitalising leftover mash and I'm sure there are all sorts of delicious leftovers that could advantageously be added.

Lunch Pudding

doughnut-flat-white-peaches-pinterest-image
I bought some doughnut peaches at a car boot sale yesterday but I’m pretty sure they weren’t second hand!  

I was disappointed to discover that they are absolutely delicious – the kind of old fashioned sweet juicy peach you have to eat over the sink.  Literally.  

This is a shame because I bought them to test recipes for My Forthcoming Book (not it's final title, by the way) but anything other than eating them out of hand would be a waste of their wonderfulness.  

For lunch pudding, just out of curiosity, I drizzle one with a little of the raspberry vinegar I made a while ago – it was strange and even more dribbly but so good I might eat the rest the same way

My "Forthcoming Book", News from the Future ...

My book was published in March, 2013. Originally titled The Leftovers Handbook a second edition is now available and is called Creative Ways to Use Up Leftovers.  

In it I give all the information, ideas and recipes I can think of for over 450 possible leftovers.
creative-ways-to-use-up-lefovers





3 comments:

Jenny Eatwell said...

I reckon they are Apache potatoes. I saw a programme on t.v. about various types - and Apache caught my attention because of their name (I have a great interest in the Native American tribes) and the fact that they were painted like a pinto pony (except in brown and red). lol

Suzy - Sudden Lunch said...

Oh well done - I think that was it! Thank you.

Jenny Eatwell said...

So do I get a prize? lol