Pages

The Scottish Highlands ~ up even Norther!


"It was such a lovely day I thought it a pity to get up."
~ W. Somerset Maugham ~

Today when we woke up the sun was out, the birdies singing, the views spectacular and we were knackered so were of the same mind as W. Somerset Maugham and acted accordingly.
  
This is shame because now, unlike the rest of Britain it is cold, windy and wet with occasional fog here - dreich I think they say in these parts. 

I have been noticeable (I hope) by my absence so far as the internet is concerned for the past few days the reason being that we have been on the road, heading even more Up Norther than is usual for us.  

On the way to the far north we spent a day in The Lakes which were good to see after many years away so we think we might return for a longer visit. 



Grasmere, The Lake District, UK

spoon garden Grasmere





In Grasmere (which was gobsmackingly busier than it used to be!) we bought Grasmere Gingerbread, of course, and saw a Grow you own Spoon garden which makes a change!  










We also visited Borrowdale where I spent a lot of time years and years ago and then ate in a remote pub and purposely chose to sit by the large window with this view ...

Borrowdale


Sadly it was also right beside a speaker which despite every one of the several customers being over the age of 50 was playing ...


Even though I am very nearly a wrinkly old twat I actually almost like a bit of rap, it puts me in mind of reggae which I love (and this is why I have expressed myself above in Rasta colours) but surely this was not the time or the place!

The next day we headed up to the Highlands to beautiful Plockton where we are staying. 

The Scottish Highlands




We are here to house, cat and poly-tunnel sit for old friends - it's a bugger but someone has to do it!!!  

My real man has his kayak and his bike, there are lovely walks around here, Skye is just a few miles away and I have lots of books to read. I do have very limited internet access which works both ways - I hope I don't miss anything good but on the other hand it will be pleasant to do nothing much.

Having said that I'll try and write about food in a day or two. 







PS.  I just looked up dreich in the Urban Dictionary where it says ...

"A combination of dull, overcast, drizzly, cold, misty and miserable weather. At least 4 of the above adjectives must apply before the weather is truly dreich"




 

3 comments:

Sue said...

I love a bit of reggae but I cannot stand rap, and to have it playing while looking over one of my favourite parts of the country would be sacrilegious.

Oh I miss the Lakes, it's somewhere I hoped to move back to one day but I guess that's not to be :-(.

Have fun housesitting, it's always like a holiday looking after someone else's house and pets.

I hope the weather improves for you, it dreich a lot of the time in Scotland.

Jenny Eatwell said...

You're in one of my favourite parts of the world. See me turning green? ::: nods ::: Surrounded by Highland Pony potential. ;)

Suzy said...

Its not at all dreich here today - its gorgeous and we have made the most of it with a long wander and a bit of a sit in a pretty pub garden with No Rap! Haven't seen any ponies but had a bit of a play with some Highland cows.