Pages

"avec les restes"

~ Menu ~

Penne Pasta “avec les Restes”
Crunchy crumbs
A few leaves – simply dressed
Small Glass Rioja

Les restes is, of course, posh French talk for leftovers, pertinent to this blog in general and aptly describes my delicious lunch today. Last night we ate an excellent beef pot roast provided by our friend Carol. She runs a comfortable, warm and friendly bed and breakfast, Number 8, in Padstow but we are staying with her for free ‘cos she loves us.

I hate to throw away even the tiniest scrap of food so I brought home the few tablespoons of gravy and tiny pieces of meat that were left. I had no particular plans.

Today I cooked a little pasta and tossed it in the marvelous winey, meaty juices together with all the scraps of meat and bits of carrot, onion, etc.



Speaking of Leftovers I have lots of great ideas on my Pinterest board ...


Lovely Leftovers ~ Delicious Ideas

Click on any little image on the board below to be taken directly to that pin!


And I've written a book, Creative Ways to Use Up Leftovers giving all the information, ideas and recipes I can think of for over 450 possible leftovers. 

leftovers cookbook to help you love your leftovers

In Other News ...


The weather is still pretty good, in spite of the terrible floods yesterday around the St. Austell area. Yesterday we went to Padstow for a wander in the sunshine (again) and had lunch at Rick Stein’s Café. Carol had a large bowl of lovely tender, plump River Fal mussels with tomato and chilli (and was, I have to say, a bit wimpy about the chili) and I ate a perfect salad of prosciutto, goat cheese and figs. We shared some skinny chips and what with the good bread and olive oil we were given we were quite full so didn’t stay for dessert. Instead we had a cappuccino on the harbour side, sitting in the sun.

There is a poem by Thomas Hood, called...

 “November”

No sun – no moon!
No morn – no noon
No dawn – no dusk – no proper time of day.
No warmth, no cheefulness, no healthful ease,
No comfortable fee in any member –
No shade, no shine, no butterflies, no bees,
No fruits, no flowers, no leaves, no birds! –
November!

Only the last line is true, and perhaps the bit about butterflies! I saw a bumble bee droning happily amongst some flowers today.

2 comments:

Jenny Eatwell said...

I applaud your dedication to using every last little bit of food that comes your way. This is the way in which we, as a family, operate. For us it is largely down to economics, however I don't think that that matters, as I'd be as frugal even if I were eating Lobster - probably more so! LOL

Sudden Lunch ~ Suzy Bowler said...

I can't stand waste but, also, I really enjoy inventing dishes out of scraps.