Pages

Phurejas - delicious precursors of modern potatoes!

I recently bought a bag of delicious Mayan Gold potatoes because it says on the packet they are ...

 “prized for their rich flavour and buttery flesh.  An exceptionally smooth potato” 

I roasted some in goose fat and they were a resounding success and yesterday I sautéed them and I have rarely had better – they were ultra creamy inside and uber crunchy outside.  What more could I want?

It turns out that these potatoes are not exactly potatoes - they are phurejas!  

Phurejas 


These are the modern potato’s precursor from which our potatoes evolved.   Because they are not as dense as modern potatoes they cook quicker (I thought they did! – lucky I was on the ball actually) and also they are useful if you are on a diet as with their lovely colour and flavour you can fool yourself that they already have butter in them.

These somewhat pointy “potatoes” with their seriously yellow flesh are, I think, the nicest I have ever tasted (so far).

Today, for lunch, I made my standard Chicken, Leek & Potato Soup using them and it was better than ever even though I have since read that they are not suitable for boiling.

Mayan-gold-potatoes
Spread the word of these delicious potatoes -
pin this image.

Yesterday we went to Barter Books in Alnwick and I want to give it a mention because it is FABULOUS if you like books, being one of the largest second hand bookshops in Britain or Europe or the World or somewhere like that.

Apart from its obvious attractions there is a large model railway running around the top of the book shelves in one of the rooms, open fireplaces, a café, interesting quotes scattered about the place and IT IS HUGE taking up, a large part of Alnwick Station.  It is one of the many pleasures of being Up North.  


4 comments:

Alisa said...

I came across your site from the foodieblogroll and I'd love to guide Foodista readers to your site. I hope you could add this potato widget at the end of this post so we could add you in our list of food bloggers who blogged about recipes for potato,Thanks!

Sudden Lunch ~ Suzy Bowler said...

I've added the widget, thank you, and must say it is a damn attractive one to boot!

Anonymous said...

will visit the bookstore when we are upt' north nextime hopefully in spring in our camper ,have a great time in Tortola, looking forward to having our luches again when you return xxsay hello to ben for me..

Sudden Lunch ~ Suzy Bowler said...

Okey dokey - will say "anonymous says Hello, Ben". He'l be delighted! See you in a few months xxx