Pages

Chicken Scraps and How to make Easy, Rich & Creamy Alfredo Sauce


how-not-to-waste-chicken
Last night, as behooves a good daughter-in-law (even just a common law one like me) I cooked a full on roast chicken dinner with homemade stuffing and my own luxurious version of traditional Bread Sauce.  I fed my chaps well and, not being much of a trencherwoman, had just a modicum of chicken with salad for my dinner

We often buy a bloomin’ huge chicken at Tesco for about ₤6 and make all sorts of things out of it.  

The day after the roast  I always remove all the leftover good solid meat from the carcass and set it aside (to use a culinary term) I put the remnants in a large pot and add some cold water but, here’s the thing; not a lot - maybe an inch or so.  I bring the water and chicken almost to a boil, cover the pan, turn down the heat and cook gently for 15-20 minutes turning the chicken once.  This makes all the rest of the meat fall off the bone without overcooking it and also flavours the stock quite strongly as there isn’t much of it. 

Today I made …

Chicken & Mushroom Alfredo

Firstly you need to make this ...

Easy Alfredo Sauce


This very quick and very easy recipe makes a truly luscious sauce which can be the basis of many a yummy pasta dish and a lot of other dishes too. 

200ml double cream
15g butter
50g freshly grated Parmesan plus more for sprinkling
salt and pepper to taste - I myself, personally, would be heavy on the pepper

~   Gently heat the butter and the cream together, stirring, till the butter has melted into the cream.
~   Add the 50g  of shredded Parmesan and stir in till melted.
~   Slowly bring to a gentle boil, immediately turn down the heat and simmer, still stirring quite a lot but only for a minute or so, maybe less, till you have a smooth creamy sauce.  

Now add some of the leftover chicken scraps you have salvaged and stir in some sauteed mushrooms and freshly cooked pasta.  You'll be delighted.


how-to-make-alfredo-sauce

Alfredo Sauce is such a lovely sauce and so useful - add this to Pinterest or make a note of it or something because I'm sure you'll want to make it again.


Leftover Chicken Scraps 



Chicken scraps can be used in many ways, for instance ...

~   Chicken & Green Chili Fritters ~   Chicken Soup e.g. Chicken and Leek Soup ~   Chicken Sandwiches~   Chicken Curry~   Chicken Pie~   Add to stir fries~   Salad

What do you do with yours?




3 comments:

Jenny Eatwell said...

I'll often keep the "little taggy ends" (as they're known) of the chicken for inclusion in Ramen noodles for my lunch. It makes a change from just leftover veggies - and finding a little piece of chicken hiding in the noodles is like getting a little reward. LOL

Sudden Lunch ~ Suzy Bowler said...

Especially if you forget you've put them there! Tee hee.

Unknown said...

Yummm, when may I join you for lunch? I'll bring the wine.