Pages

Devonshire Apple Dappy & a Savoury Cream Tea!

~  Menu  ~

Savoury “Cream Tea”
Devonshire Apple Dappy
Cornish Clotted Cream

I’d have made a Cornish Apple Dappy if there was such a thing!  I've certainly had plenty of Cornish apples around the place recently and have made the usual dishes; apple sponge, apple crumble, apple pie, apple sauce etc. so felt like a change.


heavily fruited apple tree

Apple Dappy is a recipe I have been vaguely aware of for some while but have never got round to trying - but then I’m only 57!  Yesterday, however, was the day and let me tell you, it was worth waiting for.  The dough is the same versatile recipe I use for numerous recipes (scones, singin’ hinnies, pie crust, dumplings etc. etc.) - see below.

Devonshire Apple Dappy


a dish of apple dappy
finely grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
tbsp Golden Syrup or Honey
30g butter
4 tbsp sugar
100ml water
225 g self-raising flour OR plain flour and 1 teaspoon Baking Powder    
a pinch or two of salt
50 g cold butter or margarine
100 ml milk
4 apples
2 tbsp light brown sugar

~   Preheat the oven to 190ºC/375ºF/170ºC fan/gas 5.
~   Grease a shallow ovenproof dish.
~   Bring the first 4 ingredients to a boil stirring to melt the butter and sugar and simmer a couple of minutes. Set aside.
~   Make the dough (see method here) and roll out to a rectangle about this thick [    ]      ~   Peel and coarsely chop the apples and toss with the light brown sugar.
~   Sprinkle over the dough and roll up, Swiss roll style, starting from a long edge.
~   Cut into thick slices – about this thick [            ] and arrange, cut sides up, in the greased dish
~   Pour over the syrup and bake till risen, crusty, golden and sticky – 30-35 minutes.

I meant to serve this hot with custard but the car broke down and my real man was so late home we had it lukewarm with clotted cream.  I had the leftovers today for lunch pudding.

P.S. Something funny happened after I posted the above – see here for details!

savoury cream tea with cream cheese and tomatoes



With the dough trimmings and scraps I made myself a small personal scone and today had a sort of savoury cream tea for lunch.  I split the scone and filled it with Boursin herb and garlic cream cheese slightly softened with a tad of double cream.  I added a little (leftover) spicy tomato sauce and some lovely sweet piccolo tomatoes turned in a simple vinaigrette. Unfortunately, I don’t like tea so had to make do with a glass of red.





Both these dishes use my genius (well I think it is!) dough recipe which is basically a scone recipe but so useful and flexible I have written an entire book on the matter - The Secret Life of Scones.

ultimate scone recipe cookbook




4 comments:

Jenny Eatwell said...

Oh yes, I can see the attraction of this dessert! :) I must remember it for Bramley apple week, next year!

Grazing Kate said...

Yum! I love the sound of Devon Dappy and I had never heard of it. Perhaps I can be visitor number 801??

Unknown said...

I've not tried a Dappy before but it sounds delicious, I'm sure I'd really enjoy it. I love the idea of a savoury cream tea too, I sometimes afternoon tea a bit too heavily balanced towards the sweet treats so it's lovely to see something that offers a bit more balance.

Kirsty Hijacked By Twins said...

I have never had a Dappy before but I must try! Popping over from #TheFoodCalendar