Pages

A Deliciously Different Lunch from Leftovers ~ 2 Courses!

salmon marinating in lemon vinaigrette

~  Menu  ~

Marinated Salmon and Avocado Salad
Nubbly Toast
White Wine Spritzer
Mystery Pudding (or Dessert for my American readers)
Cornish Clotted Cream

salmon and avocado salad pinterest image
Please pin for later.
The salad was made using leftovers from last night’s salmon dinner – about 2 ounces (60g ish) of spicy roasted salmon which, in a sudden inspiration, I mixed with my leftover dressing (baked lemon vinaigrette as it happens) overnight to see what would happen.  

I was not that surprised to end up with juicy lemony salmon which was, as they say in cookbooks, a perfect foil for the creamy avocado I intended to eat with it.  

I flaked the salmon, diced the avocado (we recently bought 4 very small “ripen at home” haas avocados for about 40p) and stirred in some light roasted garlic mayonnaise to bind it all together.  It was gorgeous.

Here is a picture of my lunch pudding.  Can you guess what it is?



sticky sugary rhubarb pastry

Yes – it’s a personal Rhubarb Pie!  

For all my assiduousness (is that a word? – assiduousity, perhaps?) in the economical use of food I am still quite a slacker so wasn’t too amazed to find a lone stick of rhubarb in the back of the fridge.  As I also had some puff pastry scraps I’d been fretting about for a couple of days I made this lovely cook's treat, all for me! 

rhubarb pastry pinterest image
Please pin for later.
I trimmed and de-threaded the rhubarb stick and as it can taste quite sharp cut a slit along its length which I filled with sugar.  I also rolled the rhubarb in sugar and then wrapped it in strips of leftover pastry which I brushed it with cream and sprinkled with, um … more sugar. (Other ideas for leftover pastry are available here.)  I baked the bugger at 350ºF/180ºC/160°C fan/gas 4 for about half an hour till it was crisp and golden and a swift poke with a sharp knife revealed that the rhubarb was completely tender. 

This was enormously pleasant (see below!) and I particularly liked the way the rhubarb juice and sugar had caramelised around the edge of the “pie”.

Yummy, Delish & Sensational (etc.)


You know its becoming more and more difficult to come up with different ways to say that a meal was delicious!  Any suggestions would be appreciated; I could use them in my book wot I am writing.  I’ve got till the end of October to submit the manuscript by which time I may well be enormous.  Just writing about food makes me hungry and then there is all the testing to do.  What a “terrible” new “job”.


creative ways to use up leftovers by suzy bowler
News from the Future!

Not only was my book, mentioned above, published several  years ago under the title The Leftovers Handbook, a second edition is now available!  

It is now called Creative Ways to Use Up Leftovers.  In it I give all the information, ideas and recipes I can think of for over 450 possible leftovers.  





No comments: