Pages

Frittering my Lunch Away!


I feel that if I am serious about being a writer I need to have these punny titles occasionally, I do apologise.

various inredients for fritters

~  Menu  ~

Fritter Testing Platter
Fizzy Water
Nothing Else!

Some while ago I suddenly made Cauliflower Cheese Fritters and wrote in the relevant post that I supposed 100g of any leftover could be similarly treated. Today I put it to the test with random stuff out of the fridge.  

fritters from leftovers image for pinterest
Pin for future reference!

Useful All Purpose Fritter Batter

2 tbsp flour
1 tsp baking powder
seasonings ~ sweet fritters, require sugar, of course
1 egg
a little milk 
approx 100g of leftovers

~   Mix together the dry ingredients.
~   Stir in the egg and enough milk to make a thick batter.
~   Stir in the leftovers.
~   Fry by the spoonfuls in a little hot oil till crisp and golden on both sides.

I divided the batter in four and added the following - from the back ...

1.    25g of grated Cornish Crackler and a pinch of mustard powder. 
2.   25g of diced courgette cooked with garlic and a spoonful of Parmesan.  It is drizzled with balsamic glaze.
3.   A few more bits of diced courgette which I cooked with about 20g of finely diced chorizo and Exotic Peppercorn Mix (as it says on the grinder!).
4.   25g mashed chickpeas and ¼ teaspoon curry paste.

Doesn't look bad, does it!  Conclusion – yes, that works.
As you can see in the last few days running up to my book’s deadline I am busy checking a few things here and there.  I did find a recipe which I had inexplicably written in a combination of imperial, metric and American measurements.  It reminded me of my funny brother-in-law once saying something was an inch yard and a thick wide. 

All this picking at the thing is daft really because I think it’s about as good as I can do. Once I've sent it off I think I shall have a meal entirely made of brand new ingredients just to celebrate!

News from the Future

My book was published in March, 2013. Originally titled The Leftovers Handbook a second edition is now available and is called Creative Ways to Use Up Leftovers. In it I give all the information, ideas and recipes I can think of for over 450 possible leftovers.





No comments: