Pages

These are not You're Normal Scones! ~ 7 Deliciously Different Ideas

I have been playing with my genius scone recipe a lot recently whilst converting The Secret Life of Scones to paperback as well as ebook; in the case of reference books I think a hard copy is really the way to go.  
scone-recipes-cookbook
Have a Look Inside here!

If you don’t know about my genius scone recipe (which I think might just be the most useful dough recipe in the world) let me tell you! Not only can it be varied to create any sweet or savoury scone, American biscuit, griddle cake or rock bun you can think of, not only is it the base recipe for many traditional and ancient dishes but it also make lovely fluffy dumplings, crisp doughnuts, cobblers, turnovers, pie crust (nicer than pastry, I think, as it’s so short and crumbly) and more. 

Whilst working through the original manuscript re-sizing margins and photos, indexing etc. to get it ready for print I also came up with some new ideas and recipes so added them to both the book and to the kindle version.   

Here are some of those ideas (more details in the book) ...

pecan-brown-sugar-scones

Pecan and Brown Sugar Scones 


Obvious when you think about it!

Peanut Butter Scones 


This was an inspiration wot I suddenly had; I used crunchy peanut butter to replace most of the fat in the original recipe.

chocolate-filled-scone



Chocolate Filled Scones 


No idea why I didn't do these earlier! Replace some of the flour with cocoa and add chocolate chunks - as you can see I used a slice of Toblerone.

roasted-garlic-scone



Roasted Garlic Scones 


Very, very  yum! Replace some of the liquid in the genius recipe with roasted garlic.

black-garlic-scones

Black Garlic Scones!


Yes, my favourite ingredient again, made with the black garlic paste I wrote about recently.  These cry out for blue cheese and a modicum of red wine. Just add 6 cloves of black garlic coarsely chopped OR 1½ teaspoons of paste to the genius recipe (leaving out the sugar!)

roasted-tomato-scones


Roasted Tomato Scones 


For these I used squashed roasted tomatoes to replace most of the liquid in the original genius recipe.  

Obviously these go very well with cheese and make a great savoury cream tea.

panko-crusted-scone



Panko Crusted Scone Balls 


Just a quick idea which I made a as a cook’s treat. They were so good I added them to the book, just roll little balls of the dough in panko crumbs before baking. Good for dunking in things.


3 More Things ...

1.   If, perchance, you will be having a  cream tea see here for the perfect cream tea formula.

2.   I originally called this post A Game of Scones but if you pronounce scones, as I do, to rhyme with gone, then that didn't work but it was worth a try! I also considered Scone with the Wind but feel that may give people a distorted impression of how very digestible this recipe is!

3.   I apologise for the intrusive cookies thing that you may be seeing at the top of this blog, apparently it is now law. If I can work out how I will try and make it more attractive.  I hate pop-ups, I like a nice clean looking blog and if there has to be an intrusive cookie thing I’d rather it looked like this!
chocolate-chip-cookies

2 comments:

Sue said...

Oh yes, it's always scone rhymes with gone rather than scone rhymes with stone.

I prefer to get recipe books in traditional format, so I'll definitely be ordering this one.

Sudden Lunch ~ Suzy Bowler said...

Actually I prefer them that way too but they are so much cheaper as ebooks!
Hope you like it!